- Development and evaluation of microbiological and molecular detection procedures for usage-related microorganisms, indicators and tracers as well as pathogens in water.
- Microbial ecology of selected indicators and pathogens in water.
- Biostability of water; relevance and analysis of microorganisms inherent in water.
- Development/use of tracers and biodosimetric procedures for the analysis of the reduction performance of quality-related microorganisms during bank filtration, groundwater passage, purification and disinfection as well as treatment of water.
- Development of procedures for microbial hazard and risk analysis for the management and derivation of advanced water treatment measures.
- Model development and modeling for the spread and transport of usage-related microorganisms, pathogens and indicators in water resources, in particular groundwater.